Saturday, January 26, 2013

Twitter True Confessions

I am addicted to Twitter. There, I said it.

I think Twitter is the coolest thing since sliced bread.

I have been using Twitter for about four years. Wow, that's a long time in social media terms. It was hard to get the hang of it, but over time it has become a way of life.

[ I suspect by this point, you're either nodding in agreement or racing to find the 'unfollow' button. ]

Some of you may be dismayed to learn that I don't use it just for #genealogy. Some background: I am a relatively old person, at least in internet terms, married, has two awesome and amazingly busy kids, works as both an employee in a tiny office and as a part-time bookkeeper, loves sports, watches as much TV as I can fit in, whines on occasion, and sometimes just wants to learn by reading an interesting article. Oh yeah, and I research my family! My real life is fairly contained physically: drive to work, drive to practice, drive to the grocery store, repeat. Twitter is my way to get 'out there' and connect with people who share my interests.

For a while I tried having two accounts. It wasn't working. So now you're stuck with all of me. I understand if you follow then unfollow me. I don't check my numbers. It doesn't matter to me, really. Twitter is my outlet. Take it or leave it.

I learn a lot from the accounts I follow. It's a great way to read when I only have a few minutes. I really do read a LOT of your genealogy posts and blog links. I use the search feature to put in unusual surnames and locations. I follow some of the new international 'country voice' accounts to learn about what happens in the world.

This is just my way of saying: Twitter is awesome and is an invaluable part of my life right now. Thanks for reading. I am probably off on another suburban adventure. I really am SallyOnTheGo.

© 2013 Sally Knudsen