Monday, January 6, 2014

#52Ancestors (1) Nancy Ackley Frederick

This is my first #52Ancestors post. The theme of '52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks' was created by Amy Johnson Crow at No Story Too Small. It's pretty self-explanatory. The hard part will be in the choosing. I'll start easy: alphabetically.

Without further ado, my first ancestor introduction is:

Nancy M. Ackley Frederick
(1828-1896)

















Nancy Ackley was born 10 September 1828, likely in Rose Town, Wayne County, New York. She was a daughter of Daniel Ackley and Rachel Phelps.

The Ackley family was in Shiawassee Township, Shiawassee County, Michigan by the time Nancy married William Frederick, a neighbor, in 1847.

Nancy was William's second wife and a stepmother to his two daughters. Nancy and William had four known children, though I can only find two living to adulthood. They were a farming family, owning property first in Shiawassee County, then south in Locke Township, Ingham County, Michigan. They resided in Locke from the 1860's until their deaths. Nancy died in Locke on 10 December 1896, and is buried in Rowley Cemetery in Locke Township.


















Genealogically, Nancy is a maternal great-great-great-grandmother.

Nancy's page in my database

(c) 2014 Sally Knudsen

14 comments:

  1. How lovely that you have a photo of her, Sally. Amazing. I took on the challenge as well and am enjoying others' posts - I may settle into a pattern of who/when/why of these 52 posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Celia. I'm glad to have a picture of her, too! I've been slow to get 2014 started, so this seems like a good way to start. I'll be reading along as well.

      Delete
  2. The picture is great! I wish I had more photos of my ancestors. I took on the challenge too and love to surf around the various blogs to read other stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara! I have quite a few photos, but that's a goal of mine as well. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post! I have a picture of my 3rd great grandmother from the same era that I treasure. It's a rough tin-type image - but I love it nonetheless. :)

    Beth at abuckeyetree.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth. I am following your blog now, too. The photo is a print from a cousin - I don't know what the original looked like.

      Delete
  4. Excellent post! I like your choice of doing this alphabetically, that was the hardest part for me, so I let fate and a recent connection decide. I have 4th Great Grandparents who we believe came from Wayne County, New York, as they are found in the 1850 living in Wolcott, they were born around the same time as your GGG grandmother! They, too, eventually made their way to Michigan.
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodi, I am following along with your posts now, too, So many of my family migrated from New York to Michigan.

      Delete
  5. I'm jealous that you have a photo that goes so far back. I have photos of great grandmothers and one great-great grandfather. I also really like the link to your database online -- I need to look into that program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I use the TNG online program for my database.

      Delete
  6. How wonderful that you have a photo of her! (I'm doing the challenge too; I'm reading everyone's posts now) I've been working on my Mom's side of the family for the past year. I'll be starting looking at my father's side of the family probably in February and I know from family stories and documents I've seen that the Henn family came from Syracuse-area NY and moved to Michigan, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. So much of my family came from New York to Michigan. Maybe we will cross paths :)

      Delete
  7. This 52 Weeks prompt is a great opportunity to post about our ancestors. Alphabetical order is a good system. I am working backward through generations. Any method will be fun & challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Colleen! I will be reading along.

      Delete