Thursday, February 23, 2012

THIMBY Thursday - The History in My Backyard - Rialto

One of the most famous buildings of my youth is the Rialto Theater in downtown Joliet, Illinois.  The Rialto was built in 1924 and after some years of limited use, has become a jewel in the revitalization of the Joliet area.  Last summer, the crystal chandelier called "The Duchess" was lowered for cleaning (which happens in decade timespans) so I visited to see the restoration.

The Rialto was "the" place to be seen in my grandparents' days.  Could you imagine attending a ball or even a wedding inside?  I've only been for plays and school field trips!

The Rialto was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.  Here and here are more articles about this beautiful theater.


lobby

"The Duchess" chandelier


What can you share from your backyard?
***