Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday - Stateville Prison Cemetery

I have come to learn that cemeteries can be, if nothing else, fascinating places.  I have photographed thousands of tombstones for my research and as a volunteer. Cemeteries are peaceful and even artistic.  I brave the "haunted" ones with respect, but not fear.  Last week was a little different story.

While visiting another cemetery for a Find A Grave request, I found myself near the property of Stateville Prison, outside Joliet, Illinois.  Yes, THE maximum security Stateville.  I happened to look across the road.  There in the dull, winter grass were several neatly laid rows of headstones.  There was no fence or barrier.  A large orange monument caught my attention so, of course, I went to look.  I only photographed from a distance, because quite honestly, it made me more than a little apprehensive.

This was the Illinois State Prison cemetery.






If you're interested, here is a video I found of the property:

credit for this video to its creator

***

1 comment:

  1. I was just there and it is a nice, peaceful cemetery. I walked all around and took several photographs. These men, and one woman, were less than perfect in life. Hopefully God has forgiven them their sins. Many of them, if not all of them, committed horrible crimes against humanity. Pray for their souls.

    ReplyDelete