Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tombstone Tuesday - Augustus Barnett

As I was wandering in Oakwood Cemetery, I noticed one military gravestone well off to the edge of the property. Oakwood Cemetery in Braidwood, Will County, Illinois, is an older cemetery and there are clearly many empty lots and unused space.


This stone marks the resting place of Augustus Lee Barnett. He registered for both World War I and World War II. He appeared to have served as a corporal in Company D, 365th Infantry. He was honorably discharged on 10 June 1919 at Camp Pike, Arkansas. Brief research shows his unit may be connected with the famous "Buffalo Soldier" African-American units of World War I.


AUGUSTUS BARNETT
ILLINOIS
CO D  365TH INFANTRY
WORLD WAR I
NOVEMBER 6, 1887
MARCH 22, 1956

Thank you for your service.

© 2013 Sally Knudsen