Monday, July 30, 2012

Mystery Monday - A Whole Bunch of Dorks

In my search for the origins of my great-great-grandfather Otto Carl Dork, I found several potential family members in Lansing, Ingham, Michigan. Slowly, I accumulated as many pertinent records as I could find. There were censuses, marriages, births, deaths, and obituaries. As Michigan researchers can attest, there is a wealth of genealogical information readily available.

The potential Dork relations I discovered were:

Herman Carl Dork, born 1859, married Louisa Massuch in Lansing in 1885
Augusta Dork, born 1861, married Robert Sanders in Lansing in 1883
Wilhelmina Dork, born 1863 married Christian Guenther in Lansing in 1889
Johanna Dork, born 1865, married Johann (John) Beck in Lansing in 1886
Maria Dork, born 1867, married Ferdinand (Frank) Morofsky in Lansing in 1892
Otto Carl Dork, born 1869, married Wilhelmina Kopkau in Lansing in 1893
Rudolph Dork, born 1875, no marriage record found

Then after searching the Lansing State Journal newspaper obituaries at the Library of Michigan, I finally found it - the bow to wrap it all up!


Wilhelmina Dork Guenther died on May 9, 1928 in Lansing. She was the first of her siblings to die, and all of their names were listed in her obituary.

So we have a sibling unit. Now, who were their parents?

To be continued...
***
© 2012 Sally Knudsen