Sunday, April 6, 2014

#genealogyselfie or My Afternoon with the Lincoln's

My favorite activities (outside of working, shopping and cleaning, 'natch) are watching my kids run track and/or cross country and researching my genealogy and local history. Sometimes the two collide. Yesterday was one of those times.

My oldest son runs in college, so many of his meets are out-of-state and unrealistic for travel. This weekend he ran at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, 'just' a 2.5 hour drive. I also went alone, which, frankly, was rather nice. Mom roadtrip! So often on a family drive, no one understands why I want to stop at that 'awesome little cemetery' over there or at the state historic site over there. Nothing stopped me yesterday. Have camera, will travel.

Near Eastern's campus south of Charleston, Illinois, are two Abraham Lincoln historic sites: the Lincoln Log Cabin and Shiloh Cemetery, resting place of Abraham Lincoln's father, Thomas, and stepmother, Sarah Bush Lincoln.

#genealogyselfie 
Since I was alone, I decided to take a selfie at the grave of Thomas Lincoln. This was such a cool find in the middle of central Illinois that I could not pass up the opportunity. And mom is always taking pictures and never in the pictures. Maybe that's why selfies were invented. (See also prompts from +Gould Genealogy & History  and +Randy Seaver)

Thomas' gravestone

Thomas Lincoln
Father of Martyred Pres
Born Jan 6, 1778
Died Jan 17, 1851

Shiloh Presbyterian Church

'modern' gravestone

historical marker

Lincoln log cabin

historical marker
Not only was yesterday a beautiful day weather-wise, but it became a great day for sightseeing and track meet cheering! Beware the crazy lady with the camera.


(c) 2014 Sally Knudsen