Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday - Stateville Prison Cemetery

I have come to learn that cemeteries can be, if nothing else, fascinating places.  I have photographed thousands of tombstones for my research and as a volunteer. Cemeteries are peaceful and even artistic.  I brave the "haunted" ones with respect, but not fear.  Last week was a little different story.

While visiting another cemetery for a Find A Grave request, I found myself near the property of Stateville Prison, outside Joliet, Illinois.  Yes, THE maximum security Stateville.  I happened to look across the road.  There in the dull, winter grass were several neatly laid rows of headstones.  There was no fence or barrier.  A large orange monument caught my attention so, of course, I went to look.  I only photographed from a distance, because quite honestly, it made me more than a little apprehensive.

This was the Illinois State Prison cemetery.






If you're interested, here is a video I found of the property:

credit for this video to its creator

***