Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday - Spotted Root

I photographed this stone years ago just because it was so...different.  I've been around plenty of cemeteries, but I have never seen a gravestone like this.

 
ROOT
MOTHER
LUCINDA
JULY 20 1820 - DEC 7 1873

FATHER
ROSWELL H.
OCT 9 1798 - MAY 21 1872

Root family stones

You can see how much larger this stone is than the surrounding traditional gravestones.  This unique stone and the couple to which it belongs is in Oakwood Cemetery, Bennington Township, Shiawassee, Michigan, just east of Lansing.  Roswell Root is the father-in-law of my distant aunt, Susannah Maxson Root.

I wonder where this stone came from, since its final resting place is in Midwestern farm land.  What kind of stone is it?  If you know, please share!
***
©2012 Sally Knudsen